Saturday, January 31, 2009

Armed, but not dangerous

Our scouts recently completed their Whittling Chip under the instruction of Tom Z! The Whittling Chip, when signed by a leader and the scout, certifies a scout to bring a pocketknife to scout-sponsored events and activities (but never to school!). Putting their new knowledge to practice, the scouts carved soap-bars with plastic knives (practice, remember), creating replicas of animals, boats, and even countries!

Knives Are Not Toys!

Here's a recap of the rules of knife use in the Cub-Scouts:

  • Close the blade with the palm of your hand.
  • Never use a knife on something that will dull or break it.
  • Be careful that you do not cut yourself or any person nearby.
  • Never use a knife to strip the bark from a tree.
  • Do not carve your initials into anything that does not belong to you.

In order to obtain the Whittling Chip, each scout also completed a quiz based on the Cub Scout Pocketknife Pledge:

POCKETKNIFE PLEDGE

  • I understand the reason for safety rules.
  • I will treat my pocketknife with the respect due a useful tool.
  • I will always close my pocketknife and put it away when I'm not using it.
  • I will not use my pocketknife when it might injure someone near me.
  • I promise never to throw my pocketknife for any reason.
  • I will use my pocketknife in a safe manner at all times.

Thus prepared, our scouts were able to receive their Pinewood Derby cars! Let the construction begin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First blog post....Not too shabby!
Tom Z.